Re: College of arms needs...II

Poster: E L Wimett <SILVERDRAGON@Charleston.Net>

Dan Mackison wrote:

> Poster: Dan Mackison <cn2682@coastalnet.com>
>
> ches@io.com wrote:
> >

> > I have just exchanged email with the young lady doing the heraldic archives
> > and she has recieved LITTLE HELP from us.
>
> (much deleted)
>
>         Although I don't have a scanner at all nor a computer to donate, I am
> aware of a company that has offered to scan the entire 20,000 page
> armorial for well under their usual rate of one dollar each.
>         However, I believe the heralds office does not have funds to do this.
> If this plan was to be used, it would require donated cash. Would it be
> easier for the good gentles out there to come up with cash instead of
> computers and scanners?

 A number of us computer geeks have talked to Judy on this and there are some limitations that are affecting this situation.

Before she sent out the original request she read it to me and I pointed out some problems with consistency of image quality, etc. if the
bottom end were as low as this equipment would require.

Based on my (all too) intimate knowledge of the Laurel files, I noted that more would have to be scanned for a complete archive than was
originally planned: given the different arrangements of form over the years, you need to scan more than one sheet for most submissions and
it is as important to scan name and address info as the image if you are really thinking of this as a true backup for the files, such as I
had suggested when I was Laurel.

I also pointed out that lots of us have the ability to scan material for her and would be willing to donate time to scan more easily than
permanently donating or even long-term loaning equipment that was at all current.

However, the basic problem is that they do not want any files to leave the immediate DC area for scanning, even on a short-term basis.
This limits the options for contractual work or private donations such as we used for getting the armorial project off the ground in the
mid-1980's.

Alisoun who in her mundane computer consultant function has done specs for and/or co-ordinated several document imaging projects.