Arms? I thought they were appendages?

Poster: Matthew Allen Newsome <mnewsome@warren-wilson.edu>

In a feable effort to keep this "arms" war from being blown out of
proportion, here are my two bits;
FACT:  I recently received my AoA.  I have the scrol right here.  What it
says, verbatum, is "[space for name] should have the sole and exclusive
right to bear Arms without let or hindrance from any person as is in
accord with Our custom and tradition."  Two things strike me about this.
One, there is no space whatsoever left between the words "Arms" and
"without" for any blazon.  Two, it says, "in accord with our custom."
Which says to me, there is no written "official" policy, but just the way
things are usually done.
FACT:  I have heard a few times here and there that the only people who
can legitimately display heraldic arms are those with AoA's.  Usually
this meets with debate, and it is more generally accepted that the only
requirement to display heraldic Arms is to have them registered.
FACT:  I have seen people display heralsic Arms wihtout an AoA.  I have
also seen people display heraldic Arms without having them registered.
Its a moot point.
FACT:  I was told at my first event 3 years ago that if I was called in
court, remove any weapons I had on me.  I was.  And I did.  I have seen
other people do the same at almost every event I have been to in any type
of court.  I have seen more than a few people be asked to remove their
arms in the presence of their Majesties.  I told think anyone can argue
successfully that this is not a "custom and tradition" (quoting my AoA
scroll) of Atlantia.
FACT:  My AoA scroll appears to be a Xeroxed copy of a standard scroll
that has been colored in and my name inserted in the appropriate blanks.
Several other gentles received their AoAs on the same day I did.  I
admired their scrolls, which were different than mine, but said basically
the same thing.  Thus we can assume my scroll is not an anomalie.

I have tried to present things here that are facts.  Not my opinion.
This is what an AoA scroll says (at least the recent ones), and this is a
custom that we practice.  All other arguements are just over fine points
and really aren't neccesarry.  Continue debating if you wish, but I've
said all I have to say.
An Award of Arms is first and foremost a recognition of good acheivements
and devotion to the game we all enjoy to play.  It is not a privledge, it
is a duty.  Every Lord and every Lady has the same responsibility to the
populace at large and ESPECIALLY newcomers as do the King and Queen.  To
make this game come alive in our eyes, our ears, and our hearts.    To
make the rest of us suspend our disbeleif for a little while and envision
ourselves in an earlier time.  Weather or not we can display such and
such or carry such and such is secondary.
Aye,
Laird Eogan Og MacLaren
"IT'S ONLY A GAME"