On outlandish foreign customs

Poster: Carol_O'Leary@ed.gov (Carol O'Leary)

     A few random thoughts on some of the foreign customs mentioned in the
     Merry Rose these past few days --

     I was raised in the Eastrealm.  I can say for a fact that it has not
     always been the custom there to disarm before entering Court.  Gyrth
     and I published a letter in _Pikestaff_ in 1978, as King and Queen of
     the East, saying that we felt secure in the loyalty and devotion of
     our subjects, and that we felt no need to insult them by requiring
     that they disarm in our presence.  As a Peer, as an armiger, or as a
     loyal subject of the Crown, I would be seriously offended to know that
     my King and Queen did not trust me to control my violent impulses in
     their presence.

     If I am called into Court with my lord, or with my companions in any
     of the several Orders to which I belong, I am delighted to enjoy their
     escort.  If, however, I am called into Court myself, either to be
     recognized for some service I have done or to answer for some error of
     my own, I need no escort.  If I have been called to receive honor or
     credit, then it is certain that I am competent; I do not need an
     escort to lend me strength.  If I have been called to be taken to
     task, I need no escort to share the burden I have rightfully earned.
     And it is rare that our Courts are so large that I cannot find my way
     to the Thrones all by myself.

     And I don't bow to furniture!  :-)

     Melisande de Belvoir