Re: January Exchequer Letter

Poster: clevin@rci.ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Lady Ursula:
> Unto the Exchequer Types of the Merry Rose and the Merely Curious,
> Greetings from Lady Ursula von Bremen.
>
> Since my January letter for the Acorn was screeching in just behind the
> deadline for submissions, I typed it up in Word for Windows in the hopes
> that Rabah would find it easier to work with and would therefore forgive
> the lateness and excessive length thereof.  Thought I'd also send what I
> had out to the list so that at least some people would have the
> information as soon as possible.

That's understandable, when one is sending disks from one machine
to another. Undoubtedly, Rabah has the acumen to convert from
Word to whatever he prefers. Most mail readers (the programs)
don't.

> If I knew how to convert it to simple ASCII, I would.  But I don't.  I
> will be happy to convert it or retype it in your preferred format
> (depends on what this baby can do).  If you need it retyped, you'll have
> have to wait until the middle of next week, since I doubt that I'll have
> another opportunity to redo it anytime before Unevent (got a meeting and
> Curia to prepare for).

Word can convert to ASCII. Look under the text formatting
options, and save as text.

As a note to all who post files directly from their word
processing programs to the Merry Rose: Most word processing
programs do, in fact, have a flat ASCII option. It only takes
about 10 minutes, tops, for one to discover where it's hidden.

The advantage of flat ASCII is simple: no control characters to
freeze the screen, mangle the text, or otherwise mess up a
pleasant mail-reading experience. Also, it's the ultimate
perfectly portable standard, for no matter what word processor
you use, it will recognize and display ASCII.

--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com