Re: Autocratting an event

Poster: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace@acm.org>

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Kerry Romano wrote:

> On the subject of events making too much money, I remember the first event I
> ever autocrated.  The fees were low - $9 for a camping event.  Well, due to the
> unexpectedly large number of people who attended and the counted-on-
> paying-for-but-were-donated items I had, the event ended up making around
> $300!  I will admit to still being embarassed by this total.

Well, you're not the only one to make such a mistake.  A couple of years
ago I co-autocratted Storvik's Post-Pennsic Revel.  When we set the prices,
we made an estimate of how many people would come.  Then something like
3-4 times that showed up and we ended up with about $500 profit.

> There is nothing wrong with bringing in a little extra, but I agree with most
> everyone who has stated an opinion - the fundraiser(s) should be announced.
> Deliberately (or unintenionally due to lack of guidance) overpricing an event
> without the express purpose of an announced fundraiser is, in my opinion, not
> a wise thing.  It is also  an unkind thing to do to those of us on a budget (and
> who isn't?).

I suppose it all depends on how the funds are used.  Any extra money we
have in Storvik usually goes to subsidize our newsletter or to purchase
things to give away as awards, etc..  As long as one doesn't set prices
artificially high, I think things are ok.  If someone thinks the price
is too high, they can always not come.

Kendrick Wayfarer
---
             |                       lovelace@acm.org