Re: Trapunto Embroidery

Poster: Dick Eney <dickeney@access.digex.net>

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Jen wrote:
> Poster: Jen <JL8873A@american.edu>
>
> While on the subject of Italian Ren garb . . . was tarpunto embroidery (as I
> believe it is/was called) used on women's dresses? From the description given
> by the person who suggested this to me, it involves "a cord placed between two
> layers of fabric and sort of quilted around or embroidered over so that it
> became raised somewhat."

That's a reasonable description of one way to do very narrow trapunto.
Larger motifs were stitched around first (I think with a simple running
stitch like quilting) and then the cloth backing was slit, stuffing was
pushed in, and the slit was stitched closed again.  The result is to raise
certain motifs in a (printed or brocade) pattern to emphasize them.

I don't know whether it was done on clothing or not.  Considering the
popularity of puffs and padding of various kinds, it probably was.

> Personally, I have no clue. What are some books, articles, etc. that are
> good sources for this?

I'd start looking in general books like "Encyclopedia of Needlework."
Also look for books about Italian embroidery.  Sorry I don't know of
anything more specific.

=Tamar the Gypsy (sharing account dickeney@access.digex.net)