Re: Kells and Knotwork

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Anarra wrote:

>I pulled this off the An Tir E-mail list.  It is posted here with the
>permission of the author.  She's responding in the middle of a thread, but I
>think this post is fairly complete unto itself.
>
>Enjoy!
>
>        - Anarra
>
>Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:38:50 -0800
>From: "Turner, Joann" <jturner@img.net>
>Subject: Kells and Knotwork
>
>Greetings, knotty people, from Olwen Pen Aur,

[much snippage]

>For actually reproducing the artwork, I have studied George Bain's book.
>When I first got interested, it was the only one around (dating myself
>here). The problem with it is that you can't just flip it open and say,
>"oh, I like that one, I'll copy that," and follow his method. You pretty
>much have to sit down at page One, diagram one of the knotwork section
>and go through every example and every step to be able to follow his
>logic. Otherwise, it might as well be undeciphered hieroglyphics for the
>sense it makes.

[even more snippage]

George Bain's book was probably the first book on how to draw interlace
patterns, key patterns and spiral patterns. It is a good book in its own
right, however it falls severely short in detailed explanation. That is to
say, there is none. His son, Christopher Bain, did take up his father's work
and rewrite it a bit with much more explanation, but he broke the original
work up into two (at least there are only two that I know of at this point)
separate books that only cover interlace (what is known as knotwork), and
key patterns. I have the one on interlace, and it's not bad. However, for a
truly comprehensive work on the subject of Celtic interlace, key, spiral,
zoomorph (those nifty, knotted animals and beard pullers), as well as
illumination and calligraphy in the Irish Half Uncial style, I point you to
the works of Aidan Meehan.

Aidan has put together a series of eight books called collectively the
Celtic Design Series. The first book in the series is caled simply A
Beginner's Manual. It is truly that, but so much more. He goes into great
detail in how to draw the various patterns, some of the history, and has a
chapter on Irish Half Uncil calligraphy that is very nice (he even talks
about how to prepare and store your paper for calligraphy). Following this
is Knotwork: The Secret Method of the Scribes, Animal Patterns, Illuminated
Letters, Spiral Patterns, Maze Patterns (what are called key patterns), The
Dragon and the Griffon, and The Tree of Life.

All of these books are very detailed and beautifully illustrated. They make
a marvelous series of texts for the student or the teacher. I have seen
these books sold by various SCA book merchants, but as they are all still in
print, you can order them from any bookstore. The publisher is Thames &
Hudson. For more information on this series I invite you to visit Aidan's
web page at:

        http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/celtic_Design/

In checking out his page while writing this missive I have discovered that
Aidan has a work in progress that appears to be a book of patterns for
painting. Possibly a colouring book. There is no explanation, but there are
five separate slides that look like drafts for the cover of the book.

I am in no way affiliated with Aidan Meehan or Thames & Hudson, nor do I
derive anything but the greatest pleasure in telling you about these books.
I do strongly encourage the serious artist who would delve into the
mysteries of Celtic design to pick these up.

In service,
Corun

     Corun MacAnndra   |   Dark Horde by birth   |   Moritu by choice
Though we are not now that strength, which in old days moved earth and heaven,
that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time
and fates, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.