rattan & chirurgeons

Poster: Kat Hintze <chhintze@bmd.clis.com>

A new member recently asked me a couple of questions I didn't have answers
to, so I'm posting them here in hopes of getting some answers.  I'm sure
these have already been covered, so feel free to post privately to me if you
don't want to waste bandwidth.

First, is there a convenient source for rattan locally (coastal NC)?  If
not, could someone reccommend a reliable (and inexpensive) mail-order
source?  (This gentleman joined the SCA less than a month ago, and I don't
even want to get into Sil-a-flex with him, as it's so experimental.

Second, how does one go about becoming a warranted chirurgeon?  The newbie
in question has had EMT training and starts nursing school in the fall and
wants to put that training to use where it might do some good.

Any help would be most appreciated!

In service,
Lady Katriona of NorthWoods