Re: FW: May Laurel Acceptances and Returns

Poster: Michael and MJ Houghton <herveus@access.digex.net>

Howdy!

> Poster: PETERSR@spiegel.becltd.com (Peters, Rise J.)
>

> From: Corun MacAnndra
>

> Caitlin wrote:

> > How does this work?  When I submitted my device, I was told not to worry
> > about the fact that I can't draw, that if my drawing wasn't good enough to
>
> > make it clear that I meant a dumbek and not a goblet, the heralds would
> look
> > at the blazon and judge accordingly.
>
> Is there not a place on the submission form where one writes, in the
> language
> of Heralds, the device? If so, then logic follows that if it says cow, even
> though the beast looks like a goat drawn by a four year old, then cow it is.
> I have been told on many occasions that certain things are the generic thing
> itself rather than a specific variant of the thing. For example, a ship is a
> ship is a ship, whether it is a drekkar or a galleon, and that the only
> things
> that matter are coloration (eg. of sails) or facing direction (there may be
> more differences that I don't know, I use these as examples). Herein then
> logic follows that no matter how the ship is drawn or described, it is a
> ship
> to the Heralds and nothing else.
>
> Ergo, a cow, no matter how badly drawn, is not a goat, and a ship, no matter
> how described, is a ship. I do not understand how the Heralds can have any
> confusion over what seems to be a very clear distinction. But then I am not
> a Herald. Perhaps we would all benefit from further elucidation.

There is no heraldic difference counted between types of ship (drakkar/galley/
lymphad), so there is nothing gained by insisting on specificity. However, we
count cows and goats to be completely different charges. Therefore, the
drawings need to clearly be one or the other. Sometimes it makes a difference
(heraldicly speaking) and sometimes it doesn't.

yours,
Herveus