Re: SCA Alcohol Policy

Poster: Heather Bryden <bryden@hers.com>

Anarra wrote:

<snip>

>Because there is no Law against 501(c)(3) groups purchasing alcohol, there
>must
>needs be a BoD policy if we are to forbid it.  But underage drinking is
>adequately covered by the Laws of the States.

Anarra is correct in stating there is no law against 501(c)(3) groups
PURCHASING alcohol.  Nor should there be a BoD policy to forbid such
purchase.  In fact, the new policy clearly indicates that branches are
permitted to purchase alcoholic beverages for use in cooking.

The problem arises when groups DISTRIBUTE alcohol that they have purchased
or manufactured.  That's the activity that opens the door to liability
issues.  And that's the activity the new policy is intended to address.
Now, how well the policy accomplishes that is another kettle of fish.

Elisabeth MacAlester of Kintyre