Re: More Germainc Garb stuff

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Dafydd wrote:

> Tights suck, frankly.  Stretchy modern things constantly drifting
> southward so you have to hike them up in an undignified manner.
>
> Real men wear real hosen.

Where can one get patterns for hosen?

> Separate-leg tailored hosen are very comfortable; you can even roll them
> down over a garter when you need to, going upper-thigh-bare, which is
> wonderful for hot weather.  Of course, to do this you need nice medieval
> underwear (basically linen boxers, depending upon what period we are
> talking).

What about some of those 14th c. sets that look like modern tights in the
paintings? There is a picture I have in mind from the paper cover of the
Medaeval Cookbook. It shows a couple of men in white cote d'hardies with
very tight fitting white tights. The cote d'hardies are very short, above
the bum, and one can see that the tights are not separate leg, but a whole
unit. Is this the painter taking artistic license?

In service,
Corun