Re: Reposting and Riposting

Poster: "David Ritterskamp" <blackbow@sprynet.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: JebRaitt@aol.com <JebRaitt@aol.com>
To: atlantia@atlantia.sca.org <atlantia@atlantia.sca.org>
Date: Thursday, November 06, 1997 3:28 PM
Subject: Reposting and Riposting

>Poster: JebRaitt@aol.com
>
>In the course of a discussion of copyrights,  J. Blackbow wrote:
>
><<1.  You will note that the song I reposted (isn't that a fencing term?
;>)
>was originally posted somewhere else, by someone else. . . . >>
>
>The wordsmith is compelled to respond:   "Reposting" has nothing to do with
>fencing.  It is simply a term for doing something (in this case, posting a
>message) again.
>
>What you may be thinking of is "riposte", which is a term used in fencing,
>but could apply to any sort of combat or combat-related sport.  As a noun,
>riposte is a blow or thrust made immediately after one's opponent has
struck
>or thrusted.  As a verb, it means to make such a blow or thrust in response
>to an opponenet's attack.
>
>Ah, how well I remember my fencing coach's admonition never to parry
without
>offering a riposte!
>
>In service to the language,
>
>Donal Mac Ruiseart

[Donal:

There is a concept in the English language known as a "joke".  It is defined
as a comment intended to engender yux.  Given that e-mail doesn't have the
obvious verbal cues that people expect, a system was developed some time ago
to indicate when the writer was being humorous.  This system involves
symbols such as ";>", ":)", and about a gazillion others.

When I say

><<1.  You will note that the song I reposted (isn't that a fencing term?
;>)

the ";>" is an attempt at alerting others to the humor based on the similar
pronunciations of "reposted" and "riposted".

Thanks for the grammar lesson, but believe me when I say that my (modern)
vocabulary doesn't need much expanding.  I have no idea just how large it
is, but it has yet to fail me.

Regards,

Ld. Jonathan Blackbow
Clan O'Shannon