Boat Wars

Poster: Nancy Davis <nancyad@mindspring.com>

BOAT WARS, May 15-17

The mighty Norsemen have been sighted off the coast of the Hebrides. The
stalwart Celts are preparing to defend hearth and home. Join the Canton of
Buckston-on-Eno for an early period event with fighting, archery, rapier,
A&S, feasting and fun at the Optimist Farm in Apex, NC, on May 15-17, 1998.
Armored fighters and combat archers will have a day of  martial mayhem in
the various scenarios traditional to Boat Wars. A brief tourney will be
held to select the team leaders.  Fighters should bring booty worth $5-10.
To the victors go the spoils! Target archers will be challenged with a
shoot planned by House Flamingbolt. New *** Rapier fighters will have
boating scenarios similar to the armored fighters. ***

There will also be several more peaceful pursuits. Quests are planned to
challenge the minds and bodies of youths and adults. A&S competitions
include the best dressed Viking and Celt, a bardic competition throughout
the day with performers earning tokens from the populace, and an on-site
poetry competition with a word list provided. There will be an open
competition with entries in blue and/or green, Windmasters’ Hill baronial
colors.  A novice competition will be held for artisans who have been
working in a medium for less than a year. There will be classes on Celtic
knotwork for scribes and early period embroidery stitches. Children’s
activities will be available.  In the evening there will be dancing and a
bardic circle.

The site will open Friday May 15 at 6:00 p.m. and close Sunday, May 17 at
noon. This is a camping event with plenty of space for your tents. A
primitive(cold) shower will be available.  A hearty feast is being prepared
by Lord Barddan Baird mac Riordain(Glenn Smith). Yes, there will be purple
soup!  Please contact Baird regarding dietary concerns at (919)596-7199,
before midnight  The hall is small, so reserve your space early. The site
is discretely wet. Merchants are welcome but must contact the autocrat,
Lady Ysolt la Bretonne (mka Nancy Davis), (919)489-6662 (before 10PM) or
nancyad@mindspring.com.

On-board cost is $11 before May 1, and $12 thereafter.  Day-trip is $6.
Children 12 and under are half price.  Reservations should be mailed to
Julyan de Hunteley (mka Pam Huntley) 425 Hillsborough St. 13F, Chapel Hill,
NC 27514, (919)968-1951, before midnight; pam@email.unc.edu. Make checks
payable to Canton of Buckston-on-Eno, SCA, Inc.

Directions: Optimist Farm is located at 2908 Optimist Farm Road, Apex, NC.
>From the east and the I-440 belt-line in Raleigh, take exit 297, Lake
Wheeler Road. Turn south onto Lake Wheeler Rd.  Approx. 8 miles from I-440
and 1.1 miles past the light at Ten-Ten Rd., turn right onto Optimist Farm
Road. Site is one mile on the right.

>From the west and I-40 in Durham, take exit 278, Rte 55 east (actually
south). Travel ~13 miles through Apex to the intersection with US 1.
Continue on Rte 55 for 2.2 miles and turn left on Sunset Lake Rd (Old
Smithfield Rd. goes right). Go 2.2 miles and turn left on Optimist Farm Rd.
Site is 3.4 miles on the left.