Period Ornamentation for Pets

Poster: Suzanne Metzler <SMETZLER/0002152178@MCIMAIL.COM>

I was looking for some docus ;^) er...documentation for period ornamentation
for pets, particularly dogs (and not horses-even when the dogs are
as big as small horses ;^)).

Awhile back there was some discussion on this list
that:  (i) dogs did not wear barding in period, and (ii) that they did wear fancy
collars of luxurious materials, and (iii) that spiked mastiff collars were only used
for dogs used for bear baiting.  However, there were no sources listed
for any of these comments.  Does anyone have some specific sources I could look
through so that I could recreate one/some of these fabulous collars (but
not in real jewels of course).

Secondly, does anyone know a source of already made cool period collars
and such for dogs?

We have a mastiff that we sometimes take to events and since she is
of a period breed we would like to have her in her "garb" too.

I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Tehair