Of Kings and Queens...

Poster: Jennifer Thies <jthies@polaris.umuc.edu>

Dear Gentles on the Merry Rose,

I would like to reiterate what Martin pointed out.  The Crown lists are
the one method that is fair to the participants.  Even if the Marshalls
have their favorites, the crowd usually can tell if a blow is good or
not.  Of all of the ideas put forth, it is the one fair way.

As Earl Dafydd has pointed out, A&S Competitions are extremely difficult
to judge fairly.  Even if you do manage to get a fair and just selection
of Judges, how do you judge Dafydd's period playing cards in comparison
to Thorbrandr's Italian armor.

Another point concerns the raising of armies to war against each other.
Even if it is done all in good fun, there are many complications that
arise.  Does the warring amongst factions (be it friendly) continue at
Pennsic when we are to be uniting instead of dividing?  How does one
consider the fairness of a large household vs. a smaller one.  Sir
Corby's household, while fine indeed, cannot match the numbers of
Mooselodge.  To me this limits even further the numbers of people who
can participate rather than increase it.  Also what do you do when more
than one person in the household desires to be king?  Can only one
member of the household 'run' for king at a time?  Or do you divide the
household?  Does Mooselodge divide when both Cuan and Kai desire to be
king, or are they forced to choose only one representative at a time?

I foresee pursuing this as creating more problems than it could possibly
solve.  I would rejoice in seeing an A&S king as much as the next
person, but there is no fair way to do it.  Raising armies within the
Kingdom divides us further, when we need to be uniting.  As much as we
would all like to fix this 'problem', even this answer, with its merits,
is not a completely fair method either.

One last thing that needs to be considered is the respect given to the
sovereigns.  On the whole, most respect the sovereigns who claim their
titles through right of arms.  Also these sovereigns are respected
throughout the Known World as a true King and Queen.  What we need to
consider is if a sovereign chosen by this method would be respected not
only within the Kingdom, but throughout the Known World.

In Service,
Genevieve d'Aquitiane