Irish and Portugese (was Re: heraldry rules)

Poster: "Joyce A. Baldwin" <jocetta@ibm.net>

Considering that you had to go all the way around Britain to get to the
English Channel  from Ireland, it might well be easier to get to Northern
Spain...  .but I suppose if you had to get to Brittany or Normandy...

Jocetta

>Poster: Shalandara@aol.com
>
>In a message dated 98-07-23 10:08:06 EDT, clevin@ripco.com writes:
>
><< If one element
> is Gaelic, it's all in Gaelic, and if one element is in the
> sound-system of the rest of Europe (ie, O'Flaherty instead of Ua
> Flathbeirtagh (or whatever-I am a Portuguese, and the Irish are a
> strange and faraway people, of whom Ptolemy says little), then
> it's all in that sound-system. >>
>
>I don't know about Portugal, but there was a lot more contact/trade between
>Ireland and Spain than between Ireland and England during a lot of the Middle
>Ages.  The Irish originally came from northern Spain, and they kept the
>trading contact up (well, intermittantly at times).  It was a safer journey
>from Wexford or Dublin to the northern coast of Spain than it was dealing
with
>the English Channel at times.
>
>Just a little trivia from a long ago history class.
>Elizabeth of Hadley Hall

Joyce A. Baldwin
Diva Extraordinaire

In the Society for Creative Anachronism:
Lady Jocetta Thrushleigh of Rowansgarth
Exchequer, Canton of Buckston on Eno