Re: why do we....?

Poster: "C.J. Schaffer" <cjschaff@ix.netcom.com>

Alanna wrote:
Even now in this age of instant communication, foreign names don't come
easily to a lot of folks.  My daughter Tabitha was born in Italy.  When we
told the nurse-midwife her name for the birth
certificate, they repeated it back "Tah-bee-tah?" with the sort of puzzled
look that that means "What kind of a name is *that*?"  Our Italian landlady
transmogrified all of our weird American first names into Italian. (She gave
up completely on the Polish surname...)

I can attest to this.  I work in a *very* homogenized workplace with many
different nationalities represented.  Almost every Asian, Indian, and Arabic
person in the place has Americanized their name.  Krishna goes by Kris.  De
goes by Dave.  Etc.

Nils