Re: why do we....?

Poster: Gene Bonar <gbonar@auspex.com>

At 07:03 AM 7/25/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I can attest to this.  I work in a *very* homogenized workplace with many
>different nationalities represented.  Almost every Asian, Indian, and Arabic
>person in the place has Americanized their name.  Krishna goes by Kris.  De
>goes by Dave.  Etc.

I agree.  I worked for a Japanese Telecommunications company and every
Japanese national the came to visit work use a American name while they
were here.  So Ashiguru was call Andy and so on.  I was often surprised and
discussed at how many of my fellow Americans were totally unwilling to
learn the Japanese co-workers real names.  I can only guess at how a much
more insular group like the 9th century Irish or Scots would have felt.

Go in peace,

Eógan mac Ailpein,    archer and Windmasters' Hill pursuivant
Elvegast, Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia
mka Gene Bonar  919.772.1112  gbonar@auspex.com