RE: Honor vs. Winning

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> satisfying (I'm not proud of that).  Kings would be doing better jobs
>of
> being king if they were more concerned with making the war enjoyable
>and
> less on winning and losing.  This is why, from what I've heard, I
>understand
> but disagree with, King Timothy's actions regarding the field battle.

Not to quibble specifically with His Grace, but his post brings up a
point I have seen reiterated in a few others on this topic, and I
thought I'd pose a question in response.

The way I interpreted HRM Timothy's explanation was of it not being a
case of winning versus losing that made him decide to lead his army off
the field, but rather it was the apparent dismissal of the ideals of
honor and chivalry by HRH Dag.  Of course, Dag saw the argument
differently ("truth is a three-edged sword"), but it begs the
question.... would staying on the field in the face of the refusal of
honor and chivalry have been better than declining the opportunity to
participate?  I suppose it ultimately comes down to a question of how
one views our Game, and how much seriousness one imparts to the virtues
we are supposedly trying to emulate, but I was just curious.

Julien