Re: On the differences between the North and South...

Poster: Rutlands@aol.com

In a message dated 9/16/98 12:13:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
WGarrett@sierrahealth.com writes:

<< >
 Your Grace, If you moved to another kingdom, would you swear fealty?  Would
 you enter crown tourney?
 just curious.

My tuppence... what has fealty to do with loyalty/identity overall?  There are
scads of period examples of the same person having lands all over the place
and giving multiple fealty.  "No man may serve two masters" was NOT the way
the feudal system was set up.  If His Grace LIVED IN another Kingdom,  would
he not be bound to seek its welfare?  Fealty is a means to that end, a stated
pledge of support to that Kingdom/Crown.  Further, it is Perfectly Period to
state fealty with "except for" clauses.
     I'm a Laurel.  I had the option to swear (or not swear) to Cuan and
Arianwen, and did so.  I did not swear to them as individuals, but as standing
for the Kingdom.  My words did not step down when they did.  I don't feel I
have to repeat them to keep them current.  However, if I moved elsewhere, I
could (if so motivated) swear fealty or not,  as I wished, and I cannot see a
conflict with the previous oath unless I was expected to be a part of some
nastiness directed back here.  Nor would my peerage or His Grace's depend on
so doing, if he or I moved elsewhere.
     I do hasten to point out that I know nothing of the Chivalry, and there
may be a strong custom to re-swear;  but to the best of my limited knowledge,
it is not a requirement...  James of Rutland