Fw: Crucifixion? was( RE: torture in England (was questions)

Poster: "Xavier de Lyon" <XavierDeLyon@mindspring.com>

>I was raised to believe that crucifiction may have been common practice
>against Catholics for a time (especially most of the apostles) but that
>crucifiction upside down was not common practice.

According to this quote it was common practice.

"One of Nero's friends, the writer Seneca, records in a letter that he had
seen criminals being crucified upside down at around the time of Peter's
alleged execution.[9] "
[9]Consolatio ad Marciam 20.
>http://www.ucd.ie/~classics/96/Curran96.html

Whether or not the quote is accurate is another story.
I have not seen the primary source only seen it cited as a reference on a
net page.
-Xav