Re: coat of arms research

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> I have a copy of my coat of arms from my family but it is in black
>and white
> and haven't a clue to know what the colors are. Any suggestions of
>how to
> find out? The only reference listed was from Mathew's Complete
>American
> Armoury which I can't find :(

Is there a written description of the armory?  Otherwise, is the black
and white drawing shaded in any way (dots, hatching, lines, etc.).  In
many line drawings, if there is hatching or shading, the different
types represetn different colors.

However, one word of warning -- generally speaking, it is
overwhelmingly unlikely that the 'family arms' you speak of are
actually your honest-to-god family arms.  Arms were granted to a
specific family and not to the family *name*.  One family with the
surname of "Smithson" might have been granted arms, but that doesn't
mean all people with the Smithson surname were entitled to use those
same arms.

Julien