Announcing Activities at Events

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

Greetings all -

There is a subject that has been troubling me lately.  I have noticed over
these past many months that a few folks have announced activities to take
place in public venues at events without consulting the autocrat.

In a Society centered around courtesy, it would seem to me to be the most basic
courtesy to check with the person in charge of an event before publicly
announcing that you are holding a public activity at that event.

This is especially true of local events such as Baronial Birthdays, Dance
Revels, Garb Wars, St. Guidos, Emerald Joust, Pas de Arms, etc, etc.  The local
populace may already have plans for that time, or have planned an activity that
is almost the same as yours.  If one announces a fundraiser, perhaps they
already had other plans for a fundraiser.  If one announces an archery shoot,
perhaps they had other plans for the archery field.

Even for Kingdom events like wars, 12th Night, coronations, crown tournies,
University or Unevent, the Crown or Kingdom officers may have had plans.  Or
perhaps the plans of one Kingdom office might conflict with another Kingdom
office.  Checking with the autocrat ensures everyone can be accommodated, or
that plans can be modified accordingly.

If the Autocrat hasn't been announced yet, contact the appropriate seneschal(e).

It's a small bit of courtesy, but an important one, I think.

In service,

        - Lady Anarra Karlsdottir