Re: Names and armory of defunct groups

Poster: "Thorpe, John" <thorpj@caepo1.columbiaSC.NCR.COM>

Greetings from Eldred!

Scrtipsit Evan:
>I asked if released names and armory were being kept in the overall
>database, as deleting them might make research difficult.
>
>Scripsit Iulstan:
>> My predecessor believed in deleting items from the database when they
>> were released.  I stopped deleting released items from the database
>> several years ago.  Since then I've been re-entering the lost items,
>> working backward one letter at a time.  At the present time, all
>> released items from July 1985 onward ought to have records in the
>> database.  So yes, it's in the process of being implented.
>
>Tres cool! Leave it to a fellow Isenfiri to do it right! (IHMO.)
>
>> Information on released items can also be found via the Web-based
>> search forms (http://www.sca.org/heraldry/OandA).
>
>That follows from the first point. I just haven't bumped into an entry yet
>that said "released." Thanks!

Trust me they are in there!  I've been poking around the online armorial
in text form, and "released" armory is definitely in there!  I've found that
until recently, judicious use of 'grep' and 'awk' was better than using
some of the database searches.  I took a look at some of Iulstan's
search forms and have changed my mind--his new search forms are
extremely versatile and easier to use!  Well done!

In service,
Eldred