Heraldic Help

Poster: Eric Stoneking <estoneki@swales.com>

I think it makes a certain amount of sense to go primarily by the picture
rather than the words, since blazon syntax is so specialized.  But some common
sense must be applied, at least occasionally.

For example, the shire of Hammerhold has the following device/badge:

Sable, a hammer Or entwined with kudzu vine (Pueraria thumbergia) proper,
within a laurel wreath Or.

Raise your hand if you can draw kudzu well enough that it can be correctly
identified from the drawing alone.  Now raise your hand if you know kudzu
well enough to recognize it from a well-drawn picture.

I'm sure it can be done, but I'll bet there was a note on the submission
form that
said something like, "This is kudzu."

-Henri LaGrave