Re: [Fwd: why do we....?

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> Which gripes the heck out of those of us with personas from an area
>where
> practices were common, and the locals a tad more literate than your
>average
> Irish peasant priest.

If this is the case, and you can make a good enough case for the fact
that the combined-name usage was more than just an isolated example,
then I suspect strongly that the College would pass it as a legitimate
name.  Appeals with good documentation are one of the procedures how
the rules can be changed.

The rules are not engraved in stone -- they have changed over the last
three decades considerably, and as more information is discovered,
researched and becomes available, the College gets a little better.
Mind you, the documentation would have to be pretty damned good, and
prove that this was not an isolated or very rare occurence, but
assuming such, I'd be surprised if the cross-cultural name didn't get
passed.  There's a term for local oddities outside the broad brush of
medeival heraldry, and I think it's referred to as 'regional variants'
or some such terminology.  Under this proviso, a lot can theoretically
be registered that would at first glance seem odd (Polish heraldry
seemed to be very popular recently, if the discussion on the
SCA-Heralds list was any indication).

Julien
just me