Re: armigorous scrolls was (RE: heraldry rules)

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <longshipco@hotmail.com>
>
> Julian wrote:
> >> However, as your post noted, nobody is *required* to register their
> >> name and heraldry, so if a person doesn't like the system, or >>
> doesn't  want to bother with the procedures, he/she can lead a >>
> productive life in the Society without having to worry about the >>
> College. ;-)
>
> I will note, for those not in the know, that a registered name IS
> required to get an official, signed, award scroll.  A registered
>device
> is required to get an official, signed, AoA scroll (or any other
>scroll
> with your arms on.)

Well, true.  Before you get a fancy-dancy neato scroll with your name
and arms painstakingly enscribed therein, they want to make sure you
actually have a design registered so it's unlikely that when they
finish, somebody runs up and says "oops, no, never mind, he just
changed it to three bananas rampant*" or some such. ;-)  Of course,
that's no real guarantee against arms possibly changing (I've been
looking into making a slight simplification of my arms myself recently)
but it certainly makes it less of a concern.

But just to add one more level of clarification for those not in the
know, however: while it is required to have registered name and arms to
get the final, nifty permamnent scroll, it is *not* required to have a
registered name and arms to receive the award or accolade that warrants
the creation of said scroll.  In Atlantia, as Herveus has pointed out
on occasion, you can be the recipient of an AoA or any other award
without having to have a name registered.

Julien
who, speaking about award scrolls, would like to follow a suggestion on
the SCA-HERALDS lists in saying that if his AoA scroll is up in the
queue any time soon, and said scribe is wondering about possible
personalization: my persona is 1475 Burgundian, and I think it would be
really neat to get a folded period scroll with the ribbons and wax
seal. ;-)  But to be honest, I'd be tickled to get anything somebody
has put their time and effort into. ;-)

* For the ten or twelve of you in the viewing audience who thought,
"hey, cool," when you read that device (and you know who you are), *no*
that isn't acceptable armory, so don't go getting any ideas. ;-)