Re: coat of arms research

Poster: Michael Houghton <herveus@Radix.Net>

Howdy!

Blaise wrote:

> Poster: Jim Trigg <jtrigg@hoflink.com>
>
> On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Michael Jeffrey Looney wrote:

[snip]
> > But that's beside the point.
>
> > What I was woundering is this:  DO my arms HAVE to match my person's
> > origins?  Jsut b/c my persona is French, do they ABSOLUTELY HAVE to be
> > within the French design??
>
> No, not by Society standards.  The Academy holds itself to higher
> standards than the College of Arms, and makes recommendations based on
> this.
[snip]

A quibble. "higher standards" would be better phrased as "tighter standards".
The Academy has the luxury of choosing its clients. It also has a different
mission than the College of Arms.

The Academy of Saint Gabriel provides a useful service to a segment of
the Society: those who strive for names which meet the highest standards
of authenticity. They do not like to be asked to do "stunt documentation".

On the other hand, if the Academy says that your request is not historically
sensible, it does not necessarily follow that the College of Arms will
refuse to register. I think that the Academy occasionally forgets that.

yours,
Herveus
--
Michael and MJ Houghton   | Herveus d'Ormonde and Megan O'Donnelly
herveus@radix.net         | White Wolf and the Phoenix