Re: A new idea perhaps?

Poster: Erik Dutton <edutton@worldnet.att.net>

> > Just because you're not
> > working directly for a Kingdom-level office or the Crowns, doesn't mean
> > your service is not contributing to the Kingdom as a whole.
>
> I certainly didn't mean to imply that it did.  What I found confusing was why these
> individuals were obviously noticed by Crown for their service to their Barony, but
> find it odd that 2 out of 3 did not get Baronial level awards.  You would think that
> their work would first be noticed by the Barony and then the Kingdom as you suggest.

I would too, but then that's just me <g>

> To get a Kingdom award and not a Baronial award (ever) seems really strange.

It does seem odd, but part of the magic and mystery of the awards
process lies in who sees you doing what, and when and where (and how
many times). Normally, I would expect that someone whose service at the
Baronial level merited Kingdom-level recognition would indeed have been
noticed by the Barony - but stranger things have happened. A friend of
mine, for example, who has been active in the SCA for at least 15 years
that I am aware of, but who moved around just enough to be overlooked
for an AoA for all those years, was finally recently caught up to and
given a Grant of Arms (I believe that's correct - sadly, I was not
present). I guess it's kind of like an actor who gets a Lifetime
Achievement Oscar, although they've never won one for an individual
film.

> Certainly makes it seem like the awards are not clear in their criteria at some level
> (Kingdom or Baronial) in at least the cases I mention or that there were other factors
> at work (which, if either, or both, I'm not qualified to say since I was nowhere near
> the people during the time the awards were made).  Just very strange overall.

Now, I never said the award criteria are clear! ;)  However, I think
that in the end justice is generally served.

Cheers,
Rhodri